“The water fairly dances out of the earth, rushes over a bed of watercress … ripples down the hillside and creates music of its own, a laughing babble.” -Lew Wallace
One of the seven oldest clubs in the state, the Crawfordsville Country Club was founded in 1906 on property originally purchased by General Lew Wallace in 1899 as a summer home and amateur fishery.
Wallace loved the gorgeous natural setting on hillside terrain along the banks of Sugar Creek and decided to name his country home “Water Babble” after the small, babbling brook that to this day runs from the crest of the Clubhouse to a small pond, formally the swimming hole. Wallace used the property as a game preserve for hunting and fishing. He stocked the ponds with black bass and speckled trout.
The original 9-hole golf course was built in 1906 and was expanded to 18 holes in 1991 under the guidance of designer J. John Gorney. Truly a “Tale of Two Nines,” the CCC offers a front nine that is tree-lined and a back nine set amongst rolling hills. The tucked bentgrass greens and tight terrain make for challenging play at any level.
Unfortunately, the original Clubhouse structure burnt to the ground in 2005 due to an electrical fire. In 2008, a beautiful new building was erected and opened to host the many functions of the Country Club members and its patrons. The new structure is meant to honor our traditions while offering modern day amenities to all who enjoy the Club.
The Crawfordsville area is rich with history and the Country Club is without exception.